FROM GOSPEL TO LIFE - FROM LIFE TO GOSPEL
The Rule, Article 4







Wednesday, April 21, 2010

CONRAD OF PARZHAM, Religious, First Order

Conrad Birndofer, previous named John, was born in Bavaria in the year 1818. After living devoutly as a young man he made religious profession in the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin in the year 1842. For forty-three years he reserved as porter of the friary at Alotting distinguishing himself for a very great charity, zeal and patience. He died in 1894 with a reputation for great holiness.

From the common of holy men: religious, 1470

From the letters of Saint Conrad of Parzham

I am always united with God whom I dearly love

It was God’s will that I should leave everything that was near and dear to me. I thank him for having called me to religious life where I have found such peace and joy as I could never have found in the world. My plan of life is chiefly this: to love and suffer, always mediating upon, adoring and admiring God’s unspeakable love for his lowliest creatures.

Nothing is really a hindrance to me because I am always united with our dear Lord. In fact, the more I have to do the more I feel that I am united with God. I then speak to god in a familiar way, like a son to his father. I speak in prayers and aspirations. I make known to him with childlike confidence everything that weighs on my soul.

And if at times I have sinned I humbly beg for pardon asking only to show myself a good and obedient son of a most loving father and to love him with greater love. To practice the virtues of meekness and humility I need only to look at Jesus crucified and I learn how I must act in various circumstances. So in this way I learn humility, meekness, patience, how I must carry the cross, and it become light. I gratefully accept both joy and tribulation from our heavenly Father for he knows best what is good for us.

Thus I always rejoice in the Lord having only this complain that I do not love enough . If only I had the love of one of the Seraphim! I would like to compel all creation to help me love God above all things. Love never fails.
From: Proper Offices of Franciscan Saints and Blesseds in the Liturgy of the Hours